Sunday, February 28, 2010

EXTRA CREDIT (Without a Cell Phone) PART 2 of 3

Being for without a cell phone for some for just a few minutes is nerve racking. Now imagine not having one for 3 weeks! It is ridiculous. A week into not having my cell phone i almost began to shut down. Not having a phone for 3 weeks was one of the hardest things i have ever had to adapt to. A MAJOR problem that i noticed that had arose was the communication between family members. I am no mamma's boy by any means but my parents do like to keep in contact with me while i am at school. My family and i are very close and are open about everything. The week that i lost my phone was also the week that i needed to pay for my car insurance. I have a reminder on my cell phone that goes off a day before i need to pay my insurance every 6 months. I write my parents a check and they cash it and send the money off to the insurance company. Now not having a phone really messed things up for me. My reminder did not go off because i didnt have a phone. I forgot all about paying for the Insurance. My parents tried calling me wondering where the money was but they had no idea i had lost my phone. My parents began to get a annoyed because they didnt want to have a late payment to the Ins. Company. 1 week after the payment date i suddenly remembered that i needed to pay so i wrote a check and mailed it off.

Whilst not having a cell phone i resorted to using my friends phones to contact my parents/friends. I have a lot of friends here at ship so that means a lot of different cell phone numbers. I would call my parents from one phone then 10 minutes later call them from a different phone and so on day after day week after week. Doing this confused my parents so not only did not having a cell phone affect me it also affected the people around me. The funniest thing about this situation was that when my parents needed to contact me about Doctor visits etc they would call and text my friends phones. It seemed like every time my parents called my friends phones i was NEVER around them. So there my friends are running around trying to give me messages from my parents. Sometimes i wouldn't get a message until about 5 days after my parents left the message. So as you can see things were VERY unorganized. Now some of you may ask, "why didn't you just email your parents?" Well my parents are very technologically inclined and dot even know how to send an email so instead of fussing with that i just avoided it. To prove my point i actually did send my mother 1 email and to which this day have still not gotten a reply. In my post regarding week one i started going a little bit crazy, not knowing what to do. Week 2 was easier for me. I began to accept the fact that i would not have a phone for while. Again, some of you may ask "Why didn't you just got out and buy another phone?" Well the simplest answer i can give is... I am BROKE!

Finally accepting the reality that i would be out of commission for a while i noticed that i began to sit in my room alot more. I am rarely in my room and being phone less almost was like i locked myself in my room. I sat in my room alot because i started using the infamous Facebook as a cellular replacement. Facebook did prove to be very effective through the day time but towards the night it didn't work. By this i mean that most of my friends are on facebook throughout the day so it was easy for me to catch them and see what was going on for the day. My friends like to party a lot so therefore NONE of them are on facebook at night so it was hard to find out what they were doing at night because none of them were on facebook. While sitting around my room i began to notice that it was cleaner than ever. When i would get bored in my room i would clean. I would vacuum, dust, and make my bed. This was obviously a good thing. Being out of contact with friends also made me go to the CUB more often. I would go to the CUB, get food then head straight back to my room to eat it. Now one would think that if you were sitting in your room all day you would do more homework. For me i think that i did absolutely zero homework. The television, video games, and facebook became a huge distraction. It was kind of like i was drunk off of laziness.

I may seem like i was acting like it was the end of the world for me, not having a phone but it really kind of was... Despite, the clean room, incomplete homework, late Insurance payments and terrible communication I reluctantly survived week 2. [Week 3 (final week) to come]

No comments:

Post a Comment