Friday, February 19, 2010

FEED. Close to a WiFi Fead world?

Once in a while a book comes along that is so important, so defining of our time, that nobody reads it. This may be that book. This is our very possible future and it is terrifying as well as avoidable... While I did end up liking this book, this book is one that I found hard to get into, the beginning is slow and slightly tedious with all of the slang and the "Like, totally, man" quality of the narrators speech, it was not until about page 50 that I really started getting into it. Reading this book with all of the "Likes'" in it etc made me feel like I was in a classroom with the girl or guy that is like well like, i did not like even know like, how like the world like, like, like. It drives me crazy when people say like every 2 seconds and in reading this book it felt like i was hearing it just like that. It seemed at times that the author was trying too hard to get his point across/to me the whole time saying things like "Know what I mean? Huh? Do ya get it, do ya?" which got tiring very fast. The plot of the book seemed like any other futuristic story line. The whole "there is a chip in my head mind controlling scenario has been done plenty of times." Like in George Orwell's 1984 there was not direct mind control but in a way there was. The government could read your thoughts etc. So to me it was kind of like feed but feed is more futuristic. So all in all i really did not find the story line that original. I did like how Titus met Violet on the moon and she sort of opened a new light to him. I thought Violets character was portrayed very well. Some of the ideas in the book were also kind of cool. For example when Violet and Titus where at the club on the moon and the one guy came in and started hitting everyone on the head with a "virus" stick. I thought that was sort of original that being hit by this thing caused your feed chip to malfunction. In the end I did slowly begin liking the book more and more.

As I digress I ask a simple question. "Do you think that our world may some day be run by a sort of feed chip?"

4 comments:

  1. I agree that the language was onerous for me as a reader at times, until I began to appreciate the effect that it was creating. I don't think the characters would have been as, well, null, if they didn't, like, speak, you know, bad and stuff. Despite their insistence that they have all the world's knowledge at their fingertips, erm, braincells, their language demonstrates otherwise. Dumbest Generation? Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "While I did end up liking this book, this book is one that I found hard to get into, the beginning is slow and slightly tedious with all of the slang and the "Like, totally, man" quality of the narrators speech, it was not until about page 50 that I really started getting into it. Reading this book with all of the "Likes'" in it etc made me feel like I was in a classroom with the girl or guy that is like well like, i did not like even know like, how like the world like, like, like. It drives me crazy when people say like every 2 seconds and in reading this book it felt like i was hearing it just like that."

    Hahaha I agree with you! I mean I got into the book right away, because it was pretty easy to read but I understand what you mean! I think it's pretty cool though, because the author was trying to portray the intelligence of the characters during this time period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I agree that the language was onerous for me as a reader at times, until I began to appreciate the effect that it was creating. I don't think the characters would have been as, well, null, if they didn't, like, speak, you know, bad and stuff. Despite their insistence that they have all the world's knowledge at their fingertips, erm, braincells, their language demonstrates otherwise. Dumbest Generation? Maybe."

    See that is what i guess i was trying to get at. What i found hard to understand was that despite the FEED worlds immense knowledge you would think they would have better grammar. These people pretty much know everything about anything yet they have a hard time putting a sentence together. So yeah, quite possibly the dumbest generation in the respect that they do not have true knowledge. In terms of the technology that went into making the FEED chip. That would be what i would call the smartest generation. Having a chip think for you takes away inner being. So yes, i think they are the dumbest generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont believe that this type of situation will ever happen. People just have to much of a personal privacy issue. If there is something in your head that connects you to everyone and everything then you lose that feeling of self privacy.

    ReplyDelete